Top 25 Countdown Begins

Summer is allegedly upon us (I know it's hard to accept that given it's raining and in the mid-60s today). The summer season at the Box Office has been up-and-down so far (the best release has been "X-Men: First Class," out this weekend), and it looks to stay that way.

So this summer I will be counting down my personal favorite films of all time. Films are from 2009 or earlier. I think films have to have been out for at least a year to qualify, otherwise you fall into the trap of being drawn to the hip film of the moment. Many of the films on this list have been in rotation for me for a long time. Finally, I will note these are personal favorites. I'm not endorsing them as the greatest collection of films ever made — though I think some of them certainly qualify — but rather as ones I come back to time and again.

I also invite you all to post comments with some of your favorite movies, or your thoughts on the movies that make this list.

25. Twister (1996)

Starring: Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt, and Philip Seymour Hoffman

About: There are some movies that you're drawn to, that you maybe even love, that defy explanation. "Twister" is one of those films for me. Now, I could defend it's cinematic pedigree. The film actually feature two Academy-Award winning actors (Hunt and Hoffman). The film actually works from an original script written by a great novelist, Michael Crichton. Crichton has always been one of my favorite authors (he'll have another film on this list), providing the source material for several classic films as well as the TV series "ER." So, it's not like this is your typical genre film in Hollywood.

But it's the genre of "Twister" that really sticks out, it's a disaster movie. By their very nature, often disaster movies are cheesy, predictable, and badly acted. Some might even argue those things about "Twister," but the film has always held a certain appeal for me. I watch it once every year — usually about the time tornado season begins in early May. Given that I've seen it at least 20 times, it would be disingenuous to leave it off the list.

So the question is why do I come back to it. I think there are a couple reasons. First, it's got pretty decent special effects that — though they are 15 years old — hold up pretty well. There are even a few iconic scenes, such as the decimation of the drive-in movie theater.

Second, it's got an engrossing story and characters. Sure, there is some clunky dialogue — a fact nearly every critic focused on at the time of its release — but there is a lot of depth and heart to the leads. It's got humor, some quirk, and characters you want to root for. For me to watch a movie over and over again, I have to feel invested in the characters on the screen. I get that with "Twister."

Finally, the film showcases people following their passion. Personally, this is something I have always been drawn to. Chasing tornados is not my idea of a good time, but I am fascinated by the characters presented, and their passionate dedication to understanding the phenomenon and helping save lives. Crichton's work always focuses on something at the forefront of medicine or research science, and this is no different.

So that's why I like the first film on the list, "Twister."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing