NFL Preview, Pt. 2

It's Labor Day, and even though there aren't any meaningful NFL games one today, I am making meaningful (or meaningfully bad) picks for the upcoming season. Yesterday I took a look at the NFC, and today it's the AFC.
AFC South:
This is a tough division. The Indianapolis Colts have long been the class of the division, but with Peyton Manning's health a question and the team continuing to age, I think they've fallen back to earth. Jacksonville is also an enigma. Maurice Jones-Drew can be a good player, but they don't have enough around him. They will be hovering around .500 again. Then there's the Tennessee Titans, who have Chris Johnson and not much else. New coach, and somewhat of a rebuilding project, I just don't see it. That leaves the Houston Texans. I think they'll be better and this is the year they're finally good enough to win the division.
AFC East:
This feels like a two-team race between the New York Jets and the New England Patriots. The Patriots ruled the 2010 regular season but the Jets were the best in the post-season. I think the Jets are still in their prime, and the Patriots took some chances with Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco. Both will be in the playoffs, but I give the nod to the Jets, unfortunately. Then there's the Miami Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills. Miami is the better of the two, but I don't think either will be good.
AFC North:
I still think the Pittsburgh Steelers are the class of this division and will win. They were in the Super Bowl last season and have done nothing to diminish the brand. I know many people think the Baltimore Ravens are a key Super Bowl contender, but I'm still not sold they are a great team. I also am not sold Joe Flacco can get it done in the clutch. Then there's the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals. The Browns will be a little better as Colt McCoy develops, the Bengals will be worse....
AFC West:
This division will belong to the San Diego Chargers. It kills me to say it, but they're the most talented team and last year was somewhat of a fluke. They won't have that kind of luck again (barring a major injury). The Kansas City Chiefs are a decent team, but they got a little lucky last year. They will come back to earth — and closer to .500 this season. The Oakland Raiders made strides last year, but they seem to have taken some giant steps backward this season. Then there's the Denver Broncos. They will be a little more competitive on the field, but I think their maximum upside is six wins. And they are my favorite team, so know it kills me to say that.
Playoffs:
South: Houston Texans
East: New York Jets
North: Pittsburgh Steelers
West: San Diego Chargers
Wild Cards: New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens
Round 1: Pittsburgh Steelers over Baltimore Ravens; New England Patriots over Houston Texans
Second Round: New York Jets over Patriots; Steelers over San Diego Chargers
AFC Title Game: Jets over Steelers
Super Bowl: Packers over Jets, 24-17
Comments
Post a Comment