The Hour

I have never really been a fan of the AMC show "Mad Men." I've tried to watch it a few times, and I just didn't get sucked in. So when I read the reviews talking about "The Hour," a new series from the BBC, that called it the British version of "Mad Men," I was less than excited. But after a few people told me it was incredible, I decided to give the series a look. (It is currently airing on BBC America).
And, it truly is nothing like "Mad Men." First off, the show is set in the 1950s and incorporated a season-long mystery that unraveled (the season is only six episodes, so that wasn't much of a stretch). In addition, it's set behind the scenes at a news program — somewhat like a 60 Minutes or the show Hear It Now, featured in the film "Good Night and Good Luck." In fact, in terms of tone, "The Hour" is quite similar to "Good Night and Good Luck."
One of the things that I was most drawn to in terms of the show was the way it examined the idea of free speech. We live in a world that is saturated (arguably oversaturated) by media. We live in the era of 24-hour news coverage, much of it quite speculative. So it's interesting to see a time period depicted when things weren't so clear cut.
Not only does "The Hour" provide an interesting historical perspective for us, as Americans, it provides an interesting discussion of the idea of free speech and the role of the media. The passion of the players in the show, and the passion of their commitment to shed light on the truth, was engrossing. It was also fascinating to see a show talking about the importance of media, which isn't always the case today.
I found the passion, the process, and the dedication of the news team fascinating. It reminded me of what I always loved about journalism, and what I think we see too little of in our modern era.
Not to mention, it's a well acted, well-crafted drama. For those looking for something of substance that presents a different historical perspective, check out "The Hour."
Comments
Post a Comment