Rainy Days of Summer
Prior to Friday, I had lived my entire life in California. So, for those of you readers who are more well traveled, this is the first of a series of posts this year that will make you chuckle. Still, where better to chronicle my first blushes with what it's like to live somewhere with seasons than on this site.
I arrived in Colorado Springs, my new home, on Friday. Every day since then, like clockwork, there has been a thunder storm in the afternoon/evening. Now, these have ranged in severity. Some have been little showers with a few splashes of lightening. Some have had thunder so booming it shook the foundation of our apartment... and my nerves... And others have downright terrifying. Like Monday night, when a storm sat over the city for hours.
There was thunder, lightening, hail, and A LOT of rain. Being a coastal California resident for most of my life, this was an odd occurrence. What I know of severe weather is primarily drawn from the movie "Twister" and four days spent in July of 2010 in Indiana. Please don't laugh.
So Monday night I spent a lot of time looking at weather alerts and wishing I knew where I lived better, standing at my sliding glass door and window mouth agape with my wife, or pacing around the house. The next morning, when I commented on the weather, I realized that I was the only one who thought it odd. People then asked, "So you don't get storms like that back home?" Um, no, no we don't.
It is Wednesday, my sixth day in town, and surprise, surprise there are thunder showers predicted again today. And tomorrow. But maybe not Friday. I guess this is just one of many things I'll be getting used to. Still, when I think about the possibility of 110 degree weather back home, I start to think this might not be so bad.

Comments
Post a Comment