Why We Love Sports
"I didn't actually see the clocks go down, you know we haven't had a whole lot of luck with reviews anyway and there was one second on the clock. We thought about going with the block, but I knew I was going to call a timeout anyway. The wind was going in that direction and their kicker has a good leg. We just made the decision to put Chris (Davis) back there. We got some very good blocks, and made an unbelievable play at the end to win it." — Gus Malzahn, Auburn head coach
Yesterday Auburn and Alabama played their annual match up. The two teams — both from the state of Alabama — came into the game as top contenders. Alabama was the No. 1 ranked team, while Auburn — with one loss — was the No. 4 ranked team. There was a lot on the line in the game. But no one knew how the game would be played.
No one was prepared for what would happen. With one second left, tied at 28, Alabama lined up for a 57-yard field goal to potentially win the game. The field goal fell short. Chris Davis, an Auburn corner back, fielded the ball nine yards deep in the end zone and ran it out.
What happened next was almost too amazing to be believed. Davis weaved his way through the field, returning the missed field goal 109 yards for a touchdown and the improbable 34-28 win. It was an incredible ending. It was exhilarating and heart-breaking all at once, depending on which team you were rooting for. The reactions from YouTube that have played all morning have only added to that sentiment.
I don't follow either team, really, but I love sports. All I could think of when I watched that play on the highlights this morning is that ending, and that game, is why we love sports. We love to see the impossible happen. We love to see plays that provide a jolt of electricity through the crowd. We love to see the impossible.
Sports is where the impossible happens. I remember the endings to magical games vividly. I remember where I was when I saw the Music City Miracle. I remember the feeling of watching John Elway and Terrell Davis lead the Broncos down to score and win Super Bowl XXXII. I remember watching Derek Fisher nail an impossible shot to give the Lakers' the win.
I remember the hear break, too. I remember seeing a pass sail just over the arms of Rahim Moore as the Baltimore Ravens broke my heart last January.
There is nothing like the excitement, unpredictability, anxiety, and, yes, joy of live sports. Yesterday was simply a reminder of that.

Comments
Post a Comment