Fourth of July Traditions


"We're gonna need a bigger boat." - Chief Martin Brody, "Jaws"

The Fourth of July is a major day in the United States. It's a celebration of our nation, our freedom, and our way of life. And everyone has their own traditions. For some it's barbecues. For others it's fireworks. For me, it's two essential things -- the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest and "Jaws."

Many people are appalled by the hot dog eating contest, and I guess I understand. Watching men cram hot dogs and buns down their throats for 10 minutes to win a WWE style belt might not make a lot of sense.

But I'll counter with this -- it's probably the most American of events. It's a competition based on excess, particularly excess with food. If you told someone in Africa that America had a competitive eating circuit, they wouldn't get it. And while some here might not get it either, I think it perfectly sums up our culture.

So, yeah, I make sure I'm near the TV -- or have recorded -- the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest live from Coney Island, New York at noon eastern time each Fourth of July. It's a tradition.

My other tradition is probably more common -- it's the annual viewing of "Jaws." "Jaws" is a seminal film. It won three Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture, was the first big theatrical film from Steven Spielberg, and was the first real summer blockbuster. I dare you to blow holes in my appreciation for this film.

There's great artistry to it, the performances are great, there are touching moments, and it's the ultimate summer film. Here are three of my favorite parts:

*Richard Dreyfuss' Matt Hooper, talking to the Amity Mayor, breaks down and says he's not going to reason with a man who's "lining up to be a hot lunch!"

* Quint's (Robert Shaw) incredible speech about the U.S.S. Indianapolis. It blows me away that it was improvised, so I'll forgive a few historical goofs. It's a great moment.

* The artistry of Steven Spielberg. You can tell, by watching "Jaws," what an incredible filmmaker he would be. There are a number of iconic scenes, and the way it's put together adds to the drama and energy of the story.

So for me, the Fourth of July is about hot dogs and killer sharks. I don't know what your tradition is, but I hope you had a great one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

2025 Broncos' Season, Week 13