Summer Binge Watch — Football Films


With training camp in full swing and the first game of the season set for Sunday night, it's time for football fever. For today's Summer Binge Watch, I'm going to offer a few football movies I enjoyed over the last 20 years. I limited to more recent movies to make it a little easier, and because it's more my age demographic.

Varsity Blues (1999)
About: This film — starring Dawson himself, James Van Der Beek — came out when I was a senior in high school. It was wildly popular, for a variety of reasons, and is kind of fun. Like many football movies, it's also kinda dark. The coach is a jerk, and the players are killing themselves and they don't even know it. Not to mention, it doesn't paint a flattering picture of the way small towns cater to their star athletes. Still, when that Foo Fighters song kicks in down the stretch, we all know who our hero is. It's Jonathan Moxon, and we know he's about to win the big game. Really, that's all we want in our football movies.
Rating: R for strong language throughout, sexuality and nudity, and some substance abuse.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

The Replacements (2000)
About: Gene Hackman stars as the old ball coach and Keanu Reeves is the quarterback who needs a second chance in this interesting football comedy. It's about a ragtag group of misfits that comes together to take the field during a players strike. For most of them it's either a second chance, last chance, or the only chance they'll get to play pro ball. This movie has a good blend of comedy and action on the field. I thought it was an interesting movie — one I actually own — and a good use of Reeves' talents.
Rating: PG-13 for some crude sexual humor and language.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

Friday Night Lights (2004)
About: This film, based on a true story that followed a real high school team in Texas, is an underrated sports movie. Part of the reason it's underrated is that it's been overshadowed by the TV show it inspired. To be honest, "Friday Night Lights" the TV series is iconic, and its first season is darn near perfect. The film isn't as good, but it's an enjoyable watch. Billy Bob Thorton does a good job in the lead role, and Connie Britton is good as the coaches' wife. The story is interesting and the players are portrayed well.
Rating: PG-13 for thematic issues, sexual content, language, some teen drinking and rough sports action.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

We Are Marshall (2006)
About: Sometimes movies are a perfect blend of story and emotion that just pulls you in. Such is "We Are Marshall." I was so moved by the story and performances from Matthew McConaughy and Matthew Fox that I overrated it at the time. Shockingly, I think I picked this movie as my favorite of 2006. I don't think that's the case any more, but I still like the way it's put together and the story it tells. I think this, too, is an under rated sports film.
Rating: PG for emotional thematic material, a crash scene, and mild language
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

The Blind Side (2009)
About: The real Michael Oher might not love the movie, but most of us do. Sandra Bullock won an Academy Award for her role, and deservedly so. This is a beautiful movie that's as much about faith and family as it is football. Still, it's considered a sports movie, and it's one of the best in recent years. The fact it's a true story makes it that much better.
Rating: PG-13 for one scene involving brief violence, drug and sexual references.
Verdict: Four stars out of four

Draft Day (2014)
About: This movie is now on rotation on HBO, and whenever I stumble across it I end up watching. Re-watchability, as my favorite sports writer Bill Simmons rightly notes, is incredibly important in a good sports movie. I like Kevin Costner in this film, and I like how exciting it makes a movie about the NFL Draft. Some didn't care for this film, but I thought it was entertaining. Plus, it's the most hopeful vision of Browns football in decades.
Rating: R for brief strong language.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

When The Game Stands Tall (2014)
About: Last year was a good year for sports movies. The second of those was "When The Game Stands Tall," which is about the team at De La Salle High School, their long unbeaten streak, and the characteristics that made them champions no matter their record. I watched this movie last year on a Friday and went to watch the Broncos on a Saturday, making it a perfect weekend of football. This is a good, under rated movie that has a positive story to tell.
Rating: PG for thematic material, a scene of violence, and brief smoking.
Verdict: Four stars out of four.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers