Top 25 Countdown - No. 22
Today I continue my countdown with my favorite chapter of one of the greatest cinematic sagas in film history.
No. 22 - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Starring: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, and Peter Mayhew
Director: Irvin Kershner
Quote: "Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph! Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!" - Yoda
About: The Force is strong with this film. We are just over a week away from the continuation of this epic tale, so it seems fitting that we've arrived at my favorite of all "Star Wars" films in my countdown. There have been six "Star Wars" films, two trilogies, and there is plenty of debate about which is the greatest film. I will say that I think "Star Wars" as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That being said, it's not hard for me to put them in an order of favorites. While some in the middle shift from year-to-year, the one at the top never has. "Empire Strikes Back" is my favorite "Star Wars" film, and I'd argue it's the best. The narrative ends in a darker place. There's no resolution. It is a middle film. We don't spend time introducing the characters and building the world, and things don't get wrapped up neatly, but that's OK. If we never got another "Star Wars" film, I think I would still be OK with where "Empire" ends. It's hopeful, but not resolved. It drives the story and characters forward, has some iconic moments, and builds the drama. This, to me, is the film that all other "Star Wars" films will be measured against.
Rating: PG for sci-fi action violence

Comments
Post a Comment