Fall TV Preview, Ones to Avoid



On Tuesday I looked at five new shows airing in September and October that I think look promising. (Though, caveat, having read a review of "The Orville" significantly damaged my enthusiasm for it). And though I have seen no more than previews and trailers, there are a few that I can't summon any excitement about. Below are five that I think are likely duds this fall. They appear in order of premier date.

1. Me, Myself And I, Mondays at 9:30 p.m. on CBS (Premiered September 25)
About: So there is some talent in the cast, and the CBS Fall Preview almost gave me second thoughts, but there is so much about this premise that doesn't work for me. It's the same man at 40, 14 and 65, played by different actors. I don't really understand how it's going to work, or what precisely makes it compelling. Time travel is all the rage in a pathos gimmick thanks to "This Is Us," but I have my doubts here.

2. Law & Order True Crime: The Menedez Murders, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on NBC (Premieres September 26)
About: This isn't a typical "Law & Order," but rather borrowing the title for name and brand recognition. And it is trying to ride the wave started by "American Crime Story." However, this just doesn't appeal to me, and it doesn't inspire me, either. Some people have said it's good, but I have some serious doubts.

3. Marvel's Inhumans, Fridays at 9 p.m. on ABC (Premieres September 29)
About: I wanted to like this, I really did. Then I saw some footage and, maybe it's superhero burn out in general, but I just couldn't buy it. And having the actor who played Ramsey Bolton (Iwan Rheon) play another guy scheming and attempting to overthrow his family seems like the worst kind of type casting. And I just have trouble seeing how the story is going to work. I hope I'm wrong...

4. Wisdom of the Crowd, Sundays at 8 p.m. on CBS (Premieres October 1)
About: This is yet another show about a really rich guy who uses technology to battle crime. This exact plot came about in a few shows last year (one of which was on CBS) and it never worked. I like Jeremy Piven, but here he's saddled with a somewhat humorless role. And I think this is an idea that's likely to fall flat, especially as part of a crowded Sunday night lineup.

5. 9JKL, Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS (Premiers October 2)
About: This appears to be the worst new show of the fall to me. It has a decent cast, but the idea of a failed actor returning home and trying to live his life while living in an apartment between his parents and his sibling sounds like a hot mess. The trailer affirms that fear. I just don't see anything about this that is likely to work for me, despite a decent cast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers