Golden Globe Predictions


The Golden Globes are tonight, one of the most fun nights for movies and TV. Below are my fearless predictions.

Best Motion Picture — Drama
* A Star is Born
* If Beale Street Could Talk
* Bohemian Rhapsody
* Black Panther
* BlacKkKlansman


Winner: I've seen all five, and they all do interesting things. To me, this comes down to "A Star is Born." I think it will be a big night for the film, and that begins with winning Best Picture.

Best Motion Picture — Comedy/Musical
* Mary Poppins Returns
* The Favourite
* Vice
* Crazy Rich Asians
* Green Book


Winner: I have seen all five, and you could make a case for any of them. I think "The Favourite" is really unique and probably will win here, but the sentimentality of "Mary Poppins Returns" could upset the process here.

Best Motion Picture — Animated
* Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
* The Incredibles 2
* Ralph Breaks the Internet
* Isle of Dogs
* Mirai


Winner: It should be "Spider-Man," and you could make a case for "Isle of Dogs" and Wes Anderson, but I think it will be "The Incredibles 2."

Best Motion Picture — Foreign Language
* Shoplifters
* Roma
* Capernum
* Girl
* Never Look Away


Winner: This is one of the easiest calls, as "Roma" should take it easy.

Best Actor — Drama
* Bradley Cooper
* John David Washington
* Rami Malek
* Lucas Hedges
* Willem Dafoe


Winner: I think Cooper wins as "A Star is Born" dominates.

Best Actress — Drama
* Lady Gaga
* Glenn Close
* Nicole Kidman
* Rosamund Pike
* Melissa McCarthy


Winner: I think Lady Gaga gets the win here, but Kidman could play spoiler.

Best Actor — Comedy/Musical
* Christian Bale
* John C. Reilly
* Viggo Mortensen
* Lin-Manuel Miranda
* Robert Redford


Winner: I think the winner here will be Mortensen as they spread the love a little on this side of the draw. A dark horse could be Bale.

Best Actress — Comedy/Musical
* Emily Blunt
* Olivia Coleman
* Elsie Fisher
* Constance Wu
* Charlize Theron


Winner: I think Emily Blunt gets the win here, and she should. A possible spoiler could be Coleman.

Best Supporting Actor
* Mahershala Ali
* Richard Grant
* Sam Rockwell
* Adam Driver
* Timothee Chalamet


Winner: I like Ali to get the win here. Grant and Rockwell could be in the mix as well.

Best Supporting Actress
* Emma Stone
* Rachel Weisz
* Amy Adams
* Claire Foy
* Regina King


Winner: A murderers row here, but I think this goes to Weisz.

Best Director
* Bradley Cooper

* Alfonso Cuaron
* Adam McKay
* Spike Lee
* Peter Farrelly


Winner: I think Cooper wins here, too, as a celebration for "A Star is Born." My dark horse is Cuaron.

Best Screenplay
* Green Book
* Roma
* If Beale Street Could Talk
* Vice
* The Favourite


Winner: This is a really wide open category, but I'm going with "The Favourite" as that dialogue is tough to beat.

Best Original Song
* Requiem for a Private War, "A Private War"
* Shallow, "A Star is Born"
* All the Stars, "Black Panther"
* Girl in the Movies, "Dumplin'"
* Revelation, "Boy Erased"


Winner: There's no doubt here, it's Shallow.

Best Original Score
* A Quiet Place
* Black Panther
* Mary Poppins Returns
* First Man
* Isle of Dogs


Winner: I'm going with "Mary Poppins" here.

Best TV Show — Drama
* The Bodyguard
* Homecoming
* Pose
* Killing Eve
* The Americans


Winner: This could easily go to "Homecoming," but I think the winner is "Killing Eve."

Best TV Show — Comedy
* Atlanta
* Kidding
* The Good Place
* Barry
* The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel


Winner: This could be "Atlanta," or any of the shows, really, but I think "Barry" wins here.

Best TV Show — Limited Series or TV Movie
* The Assassination of Gianni Versace
* Sharp Objects

* Escape at Dannemora
* A Very English Scandal
* The Alienist


Winner: I think this is "Sharp Objects."

Best Actor — Drama
* Matthew Rhys
* Stephan James
* Jason Bateman
* Billy Porter
* Richard Madden


Winner: I would love to see Rhys win, and I could see James here, but I'm going with Madden.

Best Actress — Drama
* Keri Russell
* Caitorina Balfe
* Sandra Oh
* Julia Roberts
* Elisabeth Moss


Winner:  A powerhouse category. Russell or Moss could play spoiler (or even Roberts, given the HFP love of movie stars), but I'm going with Oh being the winner. It will be fun to see, too, since she's co-hosting.

Best Actor — Comedy
* Bill Hader
* Donald Glover
* Jim Carrey
* Michael Douglas
* Sacha Baron Cohen


Winner: I think Hader get the win here. A dark horse could be Douglas.

Best Actress — Comedy
* Rachel Brosnahan
* Alison Brie
* Candace Bergen
* Debra Messing
* Kristen Bell


Winner: Brie is a dark horse, but I think Brosnahan wins. She is so great.

Best Actor — Limited Series or Movie
* Hugh Grant
* Darren Criss
* Daniel Bruhl
* Antonio Banderas
* Benedict Cumberbatch


Winner: I didn't love "Versace," but Criss was amazing. I think he wins.

Best Actress — Limited Series or Movie
* Amy Adams
* Connie Britton
* Regina King
* Laura Dern
* Patricia Arquette


Winner: Arquette is the dark horse here, but I think Adams earns the win.

Best Supporting Actor, TV
* Alan Arkin
* Ben Whishaw
* Henry Winkler
* Edgar Ramirez
* Kieran Culkin


Winner: I'm going with Winkler here for "Barry."

Best Supporting Actress, TV
* Alex Borstein
* Patricia Clarkson
* Penelope Cruz
* Thandie Newton
* Yvonne Strahovski


Winner: Newton is a dark horse for me, as is Clarkson, but I think Borstein gets some recognition for her work on "Mrs. Maisel."

The awards kick off tonight at 8 p.m. est.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

2025 Broncos' Season, Week 13