Unexpected Reunions
"These are real people with real problems. And every single time I help one of them I think about what would have happened if I failed." - Miles, "God Friended Me"
The best new show of 2018 was “God Friended Me,” a beautiful look at faith and the world. Each week it airs a new episode, I’ll be recapping my thoughts.
"God Friended Me" returned from a couple weeks off with its first new episode of 2019. And it picks up after a pretty big mid-season finale. This episode, naturally, didn't have quite the same emotional stakes and resonance of Miles (Brandon Michael Hall) dealing with the man who killed his mother. But it still offered a beautiful case of the week, a step forward for Cara (Violet Beane) and some move toward deepening the long-term mystery of the God Account.
I've mentioned before, but I'm kind of put off by the idea the God Account will be the product of human intervention. I like the mystery of the divine the show embraced early, and the idea that God calls each of us if we're willing to listen. Miles is hurting and has harbored resentment toward God, but this journey so far has been about opening himself up to the possibility again. It's been taking steps toward restoring his faith.
To have it all be the product of a man would be under whelming. They didn't find Henry Chase, as was suggested in the Fall Finale, but they are still on the hunt. And the search has expanded to yet another tech genius. I understand that this is part of the mystery they've created, and some may care about this. I don't, but I also realize it's not going away any time soon. So the fact they're at least delaying an answer makes me feel better.
Of course, what I really come to the show for is the pathos and emotion. And this episode didn't disappoint. Early on we learn it's nearly Cara's birthday, and that's still a sore subject because she has unresolved issues with her mother (Rachel Bay Jones). This is one of the things I love about this show. Just because Cara found and reunited with her mother doesn't mean that everything is perfect. The hurt and struggle of their separation, and those memories, don't just evaporate. I like that this is a process and it is ongoing. And it yielded a pretty great moment near the end. These are the kind of stories that make this show special.
So, too, was the "case of the week." In this instance, it was helping a scientist who was adopted and never knew her birth family. Our intrepid team tracked them down, which had a beautiful intersection with Arthur (Joe Morton) and his church, only to find that they had died. It seemed like a bit of a let down, however realistic. That is until they found her sister.
The moment of their reunion, and what it means for her research and her life, was a beautiful conclusion to the story. It brought heart to the episode and was one of the best parts of the hour.
Miles and Cara
I've mentioned before that I like Miles and Cara, and I like their potential together. The show has slow played the idea at times, but with Cara ending her relationship in the Fall Finale, and the same happening for Miles in this episode, it seems like the show is clearing the decks to make a move in this direction. I will be curious to see how this plays out.

Comments
Post a Comment