Top Movies of 2019 So Far
We've reached the mid-point in 2019, and it seems a good time to reflect on all that's come so far. That means considering the best movies of the first half of the year. For me, it's been a mix of animated features and superheroes that have stood out through the July Fourth weekend. Here's my Top 5 so far.
5. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
About: This was the third film in the franchise, and the final film. I haven't always loved this franchise, but I thought this third and final installment was a lot of fun, and packed an emotional punch. It felt like a great way to end the series and it was one of the most fun films I saw during the Spring. In a year that's been great for animated features, this one certainly earned a spot here.
4. Toy Story 4
About: Going back to the animated well, this is another sequel that felt like it delivered a fitting finale to the franchise. Let's hope that is the case, as it felt like a perfect way to wrap up Woody's (Tom Hanks) story. This was a movie that had a lot of interesting animation and packed plenty of emotional punches. It might not have felt as good as "Toy Story 3," but it was still pretty powerful and one of the best of an uneven summer.
3. Avengers: Endgame
About: Another sequel, this one writing a finish to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we've known it. This film had a lot of pressure and a lot of hype to live up to, and it did so well. I thought it wrote a perfect and somewhat beautiful end to the story of many of these heroes and was one of the best of the year so far.
2. The Lego Movie 2
About: This is my favorite animated film of the year so far, and I think it will probably stay that way. I saw an early preview screening and it was worth it. This was a lot of fun, but also a rich, emotional journey, one that really got me. This is the rare sequel that, I think, surpassed the original.
1. Captain Marvel
About: Finally a movie on this list that isn't a sequel. This was an origin story, sure, but it also had plenty of shout outs to the Marvel Universe and 1990s culture. Brie Larson was great in the title role, and her pairing with Samuel L. Jackson really worked. Much like its titular hero, "Captain Marvel" was awesome.

Comments
Post a Comment