Revisiting Star Wars: Return of the Jedi


Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker opens on December 20. It is meant to be an end to the saga we've known for more than 40 years, and that includes 10 previous movies (eight in series and two stand alone tales in the world). In the run up to that release, I'll be revisiting all 10 of the released Star Wars films and sharing thoughts as we prepare for the final chapter.

Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
Starring:
Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, and Ian McDiarmid
Synopsis: The last of the original trilogy. Which now is the middle trilogy. Ah, how times have changed. This is a film that I've probably had the biggest swing on in my life. There was a time when I was young that this was my favorite "Star Wars" film. I loved the Ewoks. I loved the battles. And I loved the big ending. And I still love those things. I also like a lot of the other subtle things, too. But I am more able to recognize some of the flaws in this film as an adult. It's still good and enjoyable, but it will never again be my favorite. Still, it brought the story in for a landing, gave our heroes some good arcs and set up the epic showdown between Luke (Hamill) and the Emperor (McDiarmid). And that's something that seems like won't be quite as final as we were led to believe, but I guess we'll find out on December 20. This doesn't have some of the depth and iconic moments of "Empire," but it is a lot of fun for these characters and it brings this part of the journey in for a satisfying landing. As an aside, the editing done to the end to put in all these CGI worlds that link to the prequels as well as adding Hayden Christensen's ghost Anakin give me pause. Plus, how would Luke even know who that was? If we're just adding ghosts in their prime, why not put Ewan McGreggor in as Obi-Wan? These are questions that will never be answered. For now, just sit back, enjoy the ride and appreciate romantic scenes that are light years away from "Attack of the Clones."
Rating: PG for sci-fi action violence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers