Netflix unleashes the Tiger King
It's a different time in America and the world as most of us are at home. Social engagements are off, the movies are closed and we've turned to streaming and binges to fill our time. And into this void, just when it was needed, came "Tiger King." Released on March 20, this seven-episode true crime documentary literally is like nothing I've ever seen, which is probably true of most people.
Yes, this is a series about a true crime. And one of the principal characters, Joe Exotic, ends up in jail. He's still there, and still protesting his innocence. But this didn't feel like "Making a Murderer" in the sense I wasn't analyzing the crime and trying to figure out if he did it. In fact, Joe Exotic and his close friends might be the only folks who think he's innocent.
Instead, this was about being exposed to a group of people and a world I never knew existed. And yet, it was one I couldn't turn away from. I'd like to think even if we weren't in quarantine I would have been compelled to rush though this, but being stuck home made it that much easier to get sucked in.
And at the same time, if you asked me if I liked it I don't know how I'd answer. A friend noted on Facebook he didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, either. It's not about enjoyment or loving it like a favorite film. "Tiger King" is like watching a train wreck in progress. You are shocked and amazed, and at times horrified, but you can't look away. Except that this happened on a national scale.
And that's what made it sort of a fun bonding experience and a watercooler show for all of us connected remotely. And for that, I'm grateful.
Was may life enriched by watching "Tiger King?" No, certainly not. But did it help make limbo more tolerable? You bet! That might be it's enduring legacy, but only time will tell.

Comments
Post a Comment