Now Playing
Here's a look at the new Streaming Films I saw last week.
All the Bright Places (Netflix)
Starring: Elle Fanning, Justice Smith, and Luke Wilson
Synopsis: This film, based on the novel from Jennifer Niven, is a teen romance of sorts. It features Fanning as a young woman whose still grieving the loss of her sister and has become withdrawn. Smith plays a fellow student who is struggling with his own issues, but works to try and bring Fanning's Violet out of her shell. Both Fanning and Smith are very strong in this film, and it's their rapport together that makes the story go, and makes it more compelling. It's not an easy film to watch, and it's not hard to guess where the story might be going. But, again, these kind of films rise and fall thanks to the performances. I thought Smith was the best part of "Detective Pikachu," though I didn't care for the film, and I thought he was good and dynamic here, too. This isn't an incredible film, but it is compelling and engaging. And given the times, that's something you're looking for in streaming films.
Rating: TV-MA
Rating: Three stars out of four.
The Banker (Apple TV+)
Starring: Anthony Mackie, Samuel L. Jackson, Nicholas Hoult, and Nia Long
Synopsis: This film, based on a true story, is a big swing from Apple TV+, which has had a couple high profile series and now adds a high profile original film. It got a limited theatrical release, but then got released on the streamer March 20. It features a strong cast, a period setting and an engrossing story. I thought Mackie, Hoult and Jackson were great in this, and I was moved by a story I had not heard. Director George Nolfi, who previously helmed the under-rated "The Adjustment Bureau," does a good job with the story and putting everything together as well. I thought the film was a fun blend of drama and humor, and it also told the story well. It was fascinating to see how it all played out, and feels like a low-key win for Apple TV+.
Rating: PG-13 on appeal for some strong language including a sexual reference and racial epithets, and smoking throughout.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.
Big Time Adolescence (Hulu)
Starring: Pete Davidson, Griffin Gluck, and Jon Cryer
Synopsis: This was a big festival film that was a big get for Hulu. It released on March 13, a week ahead of schedule, as part of the streamers efforts to step in and fill a void. Davidson is an interesting and somewhat controversial figure thanks to his public statements and behavior. He seems an ideal fit for this role, and there was some thought this would be a big break for him. But this film is a tough one, and one I didn't care for. In part, it's because it doesn't make sense to me. What kind of parents let their young teen pal around with a 20-something guy who drinks, smokes, does drugs and is covered in tattoos? If you can't get past that, and the fact that the movie still wants you to think they're dedicated and good parents, it's tough to get into the story. I didn't enjoy the film, though I did respect Davidson's commitment to this character and performance. It definitely feels like someone we all know in some way, and Gluck does a good job playing off him. But the story just didn't make sense to me, and that's a big part of why this flops for me.
Rating: R for drug content, alcohol use, pervasive language, and sexual references - all involving teens.
Verdict: One star out of four.
Earthquake Bird (Netflix)
Starring: Alicia Vikander, Riley Keough, Naoki Kobayashi, and Jack Houston
Synopsis: This thriller, produced by Ridley Scott, was released in the fall of 2019, but I finally got to it this week. With Vikander, they have a high profile name. This one is set in 1980s and focuses on a woman who moved to Japan as a means to escape he past. At the outset, she's pulled into police interrogation to answer what she knows about another missing woman (Keough). Soon we get a flashback to learn what led to that, including her friendship with the woman and a boyfriend (Kobayashi), who form a love triangle. The film is based on the novel from Susanna Jones, and perhaps there is some pieces of depth in the book that don't translate. In fact, I'm nearly sure that's got to be the case, because there were pieces of the story that didn't feel clear. As a result, it was sometimes hard to know what was real, and likely that was somewhat intentional. And yet, it didn't really work, especially when we get to the ending, which felt odd. There were pieces of it I liked, including the performances from Vikander and Keough, but it wasn't a movie I enjoyed.
Rating: R for some sexuality, full nudity and brief language.
Verdict: One star out of four.
Horse Girl (Netflix)
Starring: Allison Brie, Molly Shannon, Matthew Gray Gubler, and John Reynolds
Synopsis: This is one of the more high profile movies released by Netflix in 2020, and one of the stranger films you'll ever see. It focuses on Sarah (Brie), a troubled woman whose mother committed suicide a year prior. She's very socially isolated, and drawn to a show that focuses on clones. When her own mental stability begins to slip, it's unclear if she's on to a larger truth or verging on a psychotic break. And for most of the film you lean a certain way (or at least I did), and then the ending sort of pulls a bait and switch (or it did for me). Brie is a talented actress, and she pours herself into this role. She was also a co-writer here along with Jeff Baena, who served as the director. Clearly there is something about this story she found appealing, and it's certainly a movie and role that feels a bit different from the more comedic parts for which she's best known. This film was interesting, but certainly strange. And, ultimately, I felt it was too uneven. But at least it was different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. Still, during these strange times it's probably the kind of movie that will at least hold your attention.
Rating: R
Verdict: Two stars out of four.
Laundromat (Netflix)
Starring: Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, and Jeffrey Wright
Synopsis: This was a film released in late 2019, and is a fascinating blend of comedy and drama, telling a true story of real crimes that was the basis for a non-fiction book from Jake Bernstein. It covers the larger world of money laundering, and how these big schemes are used by people around the world, and some of the collateral fall out. Scott Z. Burns delivers a script that tells some of those stories while also allowing the main players (Oldman and Banderas) to break the fourth wall and give their spin. In that way, at times, it feels like the formula used well by films like "The Big Short." Director Steven Soderbergh does a nice job weaving these stories. I will say, though, the ending caught me off guard a bit as it takes breaking the fourth wall to the extreme. But the story was interesting, the performances were good, and Streep really anchors the whole thing in a couple of roles. This was a surprisingly engaging film, and one that makes you think. It's worth checking out, and worth wondering why it didn't get more mention earlier.
Rating: R for language, some sexual content and disturbing images.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.
Stargirl (Disney+)
Starring: Grace VanderWaal, Graham Verchere, Darby Stanchfield, and Maximiliano Hernández
Synopsis: This original film from Disney+ is based on the novel of the same name from Jerry Spinelli. It's a teen film about a boy (Verchere) whose life is changed by a mysterious girl (VanderWaal). She goes by Stargirl and makes an instant impact on the school and the community. But soon things get away, and Leo (Verchere) finds himself caught in the middle. Disney+ hasn't launched a wealth of original content to this point, but this original film is one of their bigger offerings this Spring. And it works for what it is, which is a nice YA film that has some good music, some good humor and some good beats. It was enjoyable and entertaining, albeit not overly memorable.
Rating: PG for mild thematic elements.
Verdict: Two stars out of four.
Troop Zero (Amazon Prime)
Starring: Jim Gaffigan, Viola Davis, Allison Janney, and Mckenna Grace
Synopsis: This original offering on Amazon Prime is a quirky tale of a group of misfit kids who find family with each other as they form a scout troop and enter a talent competition. Set in the 1960s in the South, this one features a pretty simple story, but one that grabs at the heart-strings. In fact, I was very moved by the third act, and for that I was grateful to have found this gem. It has some star power with Davis, Janney and Gaffigan, but it's the turn by Grace that helps to make it go. Lucy Alibar delivers a strong script, and director Bert and Bertie add the flourishes to make this tale go. It's funny and sometimes moving. It's worth checking out, and a great new offering from Amazon.
Rating: PG for thematic elements, language, and smoking throughout.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.
Uncorked (Netflix)
Starring: Courtney B. Vance, Niecy Nash, and Mamoudou Athie
Synopsis: This new film from Netflix focuses on family. Elijah (Athie) has a passion for wine, but his family business is barbecue. He wants to be a sommelier, but his father (Vance) expects him to take over the family business. That sets them at odds. In the middle is Elijah's mother (Nash), who walks the line between supporting her husband and her son, and hopes to bring them together. I thought this was a moving character piece, and one that celebrated passion and family dynamics. Nash and Vance do a good job here, but I was taken with Athie, who does a lot of the heavy lifting here. He does it all with an understated style I found compelling. I didn't know what to make of this film, but I found it moving and compelling, and it became one of the more interesting ones I saw this week. It's well worth checking out.
Rating: TV-MA
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

Comments
Post a Comment