The Faith of Mr. Rogers, Week 8
This year I've been going through a new book, "The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers." Written by Amy Hollingsworth, a minister and friend of Fred Rogers, it chronicles nine simple lessons she learned about faith from him. I've read it through a couple times, and have been looking at it with my Sunday School Group. Over the next few weeks, I'll be offering short reflections on what I've learned from each segment.
The eighth toast stick is about difficult times. Boy, that feels really timely at this moment, doesn't it. When I got this book at Christmas and started reading it in January, the world felt like a different place. Maybe it was a different place. But at this point, we can all identify with the struggle of going through difficult times.
The chapter begins with the story of Fred Rogers' car being stolen. But those that took it didn't know it belonged to him. When they figured it out, they returned the vehicle with a note of apology. It was a case of a difficult situation getting a great resolution. But often we aren't so lucky. Often we need time to grieve, and the space to know it's OK to grieve. And Fred was passionate about making that a part of his outreach through his show, especially with kids.
Another piece of that is being able to mourn with those who mourn, as Scripture says. Amy referenced a quote Fred gave her, "When your heart can cry another’s sadness, then your heart is full of love." It's the idea of empathy and, at times, it is a lost art. I am someone who has always felt strongly, even for others. Movies can get to me, shows can get to me, but also stories from people.
When I worked with the A/V department, I sometimes ran audio for funerals. I'd start out so precise, watching everything and making sure to mute and unmute the channels. But inevitably I'd get caught up in the story of a family member, my emotions would be stirred, and I'd miss a cue. It was impossible to hear those stories, and see the people working through their grief, and for to not be moved. Fred felt that, too.
More recently it's come when I least expect it watching the stories of our country right now. The bravery of the first responders on the front lines. The horror of seeing so many suffering with no answer. The emotional toll it's taking on everyone. We empathize, and we feel that grief and sorrow. But that isn't the end.
The final section of the chapter deals with a friend of Fred's who was caught in a deep depression. Despite the love his family and friends tried to shower upon him, he couldn't pull out and, eventually, took his own life. In the wake of his passing, Fred received a gift in the mail, a cross the friend had made before his passing. Despite his grief at the loss, Fred saw that gift as a reminder that love, particularly God's love, conquers all.
“All I could think of as I looked at that gift was the love of God, the source of forgiveness and love, rising from the tomb waiting for all of us to recognize that love is stronger than anything, stronger event than death," he said.
We we grieve, we don't grieve alone. When we hurt, we don't hurt alone. When we face difficult times, we don't face them alone. That is the promise of God. That is the promise of Scripture. A promise we need to share.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

Comments
Post a Comment