Summer TV Roundup, Week 19

 


August is over and summer is gone. This is the last week for the Summer TV Roundup. But never fear, the Fall TV Roundup begins next week! But for now, here's the end of my look at the new shows that have come to us this summer. In these weekly posts I look at the pilot and second episode of new scripted series. Don't see a new show below? Check previous weeks.

Tuesday Nights:
Dead Pixels, Tuesdays at 7 p.m. on The CW (Premiered August 18)
About:
The CW, like all other networks, is struggling for content this Fall. They've gotten series from overseas, like "Dead Pixels," and streaming series in America, like "Tell Me A Story." Both are airing on Tuesday nights and both are skipabble. "Dead Pixels" centers on three friends who are sucked into the world of a online game that dominates all their free time. I thought it was dry and hard to get into. This was a half hour series that just couldn't hold my attention. Since The CW isn't typically in the sitcom game, I'm wondering how this will play with their audiences, too, especially since it seems poorly paired with the horror drama "Tell Me A Story."
Pilot Grade: D
Second Episode: D-

Streaming Series:
Five Bedrooms, now Streaming on Peacock (Premiered August 14)
About:
I watched these two episodes last week but forgot to include it, so I'm wrapping it up now. This Peacock Series, like most all their original series so far, comes from overseas. This one is from Australia and centers on a group of singles who go in together to buy a house because they're tired of renting, or living with parents, or need a sound financial investment. It's an interesting premise, and the exploration of lives and themes here isn't bad. The performances are solid and the first two episodes were pretty easy to watch. That being said, it doesn't feel overly compelling. That's a problem that the Peacock has had with new series since its launch, and it's a reason they're lagging behind in the streaming game. I'm hoping we seem some original series that offer a network identity from them soon.
Pilot Grade: C
Second Episode: C

Pure, Now Streaming on HBO Max (Premiered August 24)
About
: HBO Max hasn't come up with a lot of original series, though it has the well of HBO original premiers to drive content. In addition, like other streaming sites and networks in America, it's been pulling in foreign series. "Pure" is a six episode comedy of sorts from England that focuses on a woman (Charly Clive), who has some emotional issues that lead her to have vivid sexual fantasies that create awkward social situations. After her issues cause a scene at her parents' anniversary party, she heads to London to find herself and wild adventures ensue. So this kind of series is my nightmare. I don't do well with uncomfortable sequences, particularly with characters in public. This was pretty much all the show has to offer. I skipped some sequences in the pilot and bailed from the second episode early because I knew this just wasn't for me. It's a big swing and a big miss for me.
Pilot Grade: D
Second Episode: D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16