Peyton's Places, Tarkenton, TO and Letterman

 


One of my best discoveries during the pandemic in 2020 was Peyton's Places. Season one began last Fall to celebrate the 100th season of the NFL. It wrapped up in early 2020 and is the best thing about ESPN+. Naturally, it was renewed for Season 2. That season premiered November 29, and I've decided to chronicle each delightful episode.

It's been a few weeks, so I have to catch up on three new Peyton's Places episodes. In the first of three I'll look at, Fran Tarkenton was the guest. It was the fourth episode of the new season, and probably one of the driest. I learned a bit about Tarkenton and his approach to the game, and he's a great passer that many modern fans probably forget about, but there weren't as many controversies or big moments. In fact, the things I will most take away is the fact the West Coast offense didn't really originate with the Bill Walsh 49ers, as many give credit, and the Hail Mary game being a very tough day for Tark, who lost his father and found out by watching a national broadcast. I can't imagine that. But I thought it was a fun and interesting episode.

Next up was a meeting with Terrell Owens, a great receiver with an even bigger persona. I love that the episode began with Peyton bringing his daughter with him so TO would have someone to dance with, which was a pretty fun way to begin. I also appreciated the walk down memory lane and the interview with Owens, whose talent and achievements on the field often get overshadowed. He was a great receiver and highly dedicated to his craft. I gained a new appreciation for his work and enjoyed the episode.

The final episode of this catch up was a meeting with David Letterman, the beloved late night host who had a strong relationship with Manning throughout his career. They had a fun and easy rapport, and I thought this was one of the best episodes this season. Dave came up with some potential rule changes, and he and Peyton tested them out with the Ball State Football Team. That was a lot of fun, but the best part was the end, where Commissioner Roger Goodell reviewed the tape. Goodell showed a sense of humor that we don't often get to see. I actually laughed out loud when he looked into the camera and said I just want someone to tell me what a catch is. Goodell is a much maligned figure among fans, but I thought this appearance on the show was really good and is something I'll remember as a highlight of the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers