Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1996
As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.
1996:
Best Picture:
* The English Patient
* Fargo
* Jerry Maguire
* Shine
* Secrets and Lies
About: This was the year The English Patient won, and I'm going to be honest that I didn't think it was a great film. To me, there are two obvious choices, Jerry Maguire and Fargo. I'm going with Fargo here.
Best Director:
* Joel Coen
* Anthony Minghella
* Milos Forman
* Mike Leigh
* Scott Hicks
About: Minghella won for The English Patient. I'm going with Coen here for Fargo.
Best Actor:
* Geoffrey Rush
* Tom Cruise
* Ralph Fiennes
* Woody Harrelson
* Billy Bob Thornton
About: Rush got the win here, but this is a pretty good field. I'm tempted to go with Cruise, but I think I'll stick with Rush.
Best Actress:
* Frances McDorand
* Brenda Blethyn
* Diane Keaton
* Kristin Scott Thomas
* Emily Watson
About: McDormand was the rightful winner here and I'm sticking with her.
Best Supporting Actor:
* Cuba Gooding, Jr.
* Armin Muller-Stahl
* William H. Macy
* Edward Norton
* James Woods
About: Gooding got the win here for an iconic part. Norton is quite good, and I loved Macy. This is a tough choice, but I'm sticking with Gooding.
Best Supporting Actress:
* Juliette Binoche
* Joan Allen
* Lauren Bacall
* Barbara Hershey
* Marianne Jean-Baptiste
About: Binoche earned the win here. This is an interesting field with some solid choices. At the end of the day, I'm sticking with Binoche.
That's a wrap for 1996, check back next week for 1997.

Comments
Post a Comment