Academy Award Preview: Best Original Score, Original Song, and Visual Effects
The Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, April 25. The nominees were announced on Monday, March 15. Between now and the awards, I'll be previewing the different races. Today I'm looking at the Original Score, Original Song and Visual Effects races.
Best Original Score:
* Da Five Bloods
* Mank
* Soul
* Minari
* News of the World
About: There are some good scores here from some memorable films, but also some films getting into the Academy Awards in only a few categories. Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor authored two of these scores, and both are good, but I think they will win for Soul.
Best Original Song:
* "Speak Now," One Night in Miami
* "Husavik," Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
* "Io Si," The Life Ahead
* "Fight for You," Judas and the Black Messiah
* "Hear My Voice," The Trial of the Chicago 7
About: Some good and interesting songs in this group, and another set of films getting into the awards, as well as some contenders getting a real shot to win. That's what I'm going with here in "Speak Now" from One Night in Miami. I wish the film had gotten more love, as it was one of my favorites, but at least I think it earns a win for song here.
Best Visual Effects:
* Tenet
* Love and Monsters
* Mulan
* The Midnight Sky
* The One and Only Ivan
About: This is about as odd a mix as I've seen in this category, and it reflective of the kind of year 2020 was, with bigger blockbusters pushing back into 2021. To me, this is clearly a category that goes to Tenet, the best of the five films represented here.

Comments
Post a Comment