2021 Broncos' Season, Von Miller Trade
The NFL Trade Deadline came and went this week. It remained to be seen how the Broncos would approach the deadline but, in the end, it was linebacker Von Miller who moved, traded to the Super Bowl-contending Rams for a second and third-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Miller was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, taken just after Cam Newton. He's in his 11th season with the Broncos and has been the heart of the defense during all that time in addition to being one of my favorite players. He still is, despite being moved.
Miller recorded 110.5 sacks, has made the Pro Bowl eight times and was MVP of Super Bowl 50. Some day I suspect he'll be in the Hall of Fame and he'll certainly be in the Ring of Fame for the Broncos. Seeing him moved confirms to me that the Broncos aren't going anywhere in 2021. The team is 4-4 facing the teeth of a difficult schedule.
While the team maintains that they're still competing, I'm suspicious. With Von gone, the team has only one player, kicker Brandon McManus, left from the Super Bowl-winning team. It feels like time to let some aging veterans go and to begin a true re-build, the kind Elway undertook when he took over from Josh McDaniels. That means some hard decisions this off-season. But that's coming in the future.
For now, while I'm sorry to see Von go and sad to see him in a new uniform, I am excited that he'll have the opportunity to compete for a Super Bowl. I hope he gets it and I wish him the best, including cheering him on this Sunday Night.

Comments
Post a Comment