40 Years of Movies: 2018
2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!
2018:
Won't You Be My Neighbor
About: It's rare when a documentary rises to the top. I love the format, and when you find one you love it can stick with you for a long time. In 2018, it was a little documentary on Fred Rogers. It chronicled his life and his dedication to being a voice of compassion for kids and adults around the world. I remember watching the show and I was deeply moved by his story. It remains one of my favorite films.
Other Considerations:
A Quiet Place
About: When I saw the trailer for the film, I wasn't sold. It seemed like a clever horror movie concept with a good cast but that was about it. When I watched the film, I knew it was so much more. John Krasinski delivers a beautifully crafted film and a beautiful performance. His scene with his daughter as they face a monster was one of the most emotional I saw in that year. This became my favorite scripted film of the year.
Black Panther
About: One of the most interesting and anticipated Marvel films. The late Chadwick Boseman was great in the role and this film from Ryan Coogler was a fun and fascinating ride. It's one of my favorite MCU films and was one of the best films released in 2018.
A Star is Born
About: This is another version of a tale that's been told many times. This one features Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, and the film and music was inspiring and engrossing. It's a sad story but the performances are rich and the film was a powerful experience to watch. I still think both should have won Academy Awards for their performances.

Comments
Post a Comment