My NAFCA Ballot
The first ever slate of awards will be handed out by the North American Film Critics Association tonight. Please join us live at 8 p.m. EST as we all vote on the winners. Below are the nominees for our first slate along with the votes I'll be giving tonight. I'm honored to be a part of this group and the work we've done to get here over the last year. I'm excited to share my picks and see who ends up coming out on top!
Best Picture
Mass
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Dune
The Power of the Dog
Belfast
My Pick: Three of my Top 5 films of the year are on this list. It's a strong and diverse group, but I have to go with Mass. It's such a powerful story.
Best Director
Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
Denis Villenueve, Dune
Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
Joel Coen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
Ridley Scott, The Last Duel
My Pick: An interesting group of nominees, but it's an easy choice for me here. I loved Branagh's work with Belfast.
Best Actor
Denzel Washington, Macbeth
Andrew Garfield, tick, tick..boom
Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
Will Smith, King Richard
Hidetoshi Nishijima, Drive My Car
My Pick: Some great performances here but nothing topped Bradley Cooper in Nightmare Alley for me.
Best Actress
Jessica Chastain, Tammy Faye
Kristen Stewart, Spencer
Emilia Jones, Coda
Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
Penelope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
My Pick: Five good performances but it comes down to Chastain and Jones for me. I loved both so much. My heart says Jones because CODA was such a beautiful film, but I think Chastain's performance is the better of the two, so I'm going with her.
Best Supporting Actor
Jamie Dornan, Belfast
Jason Isaacs, Mass
Troy Kotsur, CODA
Colman Domingo, Zola
Mike Faist, WSS
My Pick: I wish we could have more than one winner. It's heart-breaking to choose here, but ultimately I'm going with Dornan for Belfast.
Best Supporting Actress
Ann Dowd, Mass
Ruth Negga, Passing
Caitriona Balfe, Belfast
Martha Plimpton, Mass
Ariana DeBose, WSS
My Pick: This is as loaded for me as the Best Supporting Actor race, but I'm going with Martha Plimpton for Mass.
Screenplay
Mass
C’mon C’mon
The Last Duel
The Worst Person in the World
Swan Song
My Pick: This was a relatively easy choice for me. I'm going with Mass.
Best Cinematography
Dune
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Spencer
The Hand of God
The Power of the Dog
My Pick: Some beautifully shot films here, but I'm voting for The Tragedy of Macbeth
Best Costume Design
Cruella
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Coming 2 America
Spencer
Dune
My Pick: Dune wasn't my favorite film, but the production values are incredible. It gets my vote here.
Best Film Editing
The Power of the Dog
Don’t Look Up
Dune
The Lost Daughter
Mass
My Pick: I'm going with Mass again.
Best Production Design
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Spencer
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
My Pick: Nightmare Alley is fantastic, it gets my vote here.
Best Sound
Dune
A Quiet Place Part Two
No Time To Die
The Humans
Belfast
My Pick: Maybe it feels a bit weird, but I'm going with Belfast.
Best VFX
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Dune
The Eternals
Don’t Look Up
Shang-Chi
My Pick: Look out world, going slightly off script and going with Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings.
Best Original Score
The Power of the Dog
Dune
Don’t Look Up
Spencer
Spider-Man: No Way Home
My Pick: I'm going with the score from Dune here.
Best Animated
The Mitchells vs the Machines
Sing 2
Encanto
Raya and the Last Dragon
Luca
My Pick: I'm going with Sing 2.
Best Documentary
Flee
Summer of Soul
The First Wave
The Rescue
Tina
My Pick: I loved The Rescue, so it gets my vote here.
Best Foreign Film
Drive My Car
Titane
Parallel Mothers
Flee
The Hand of God
My Pick: There are a couple options I like here, but I'm going with Parallel Mothers, the same vote I am casting for the Independent Spirit Awards.
Best Stunts
Shang-Chi
No Time To Die
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Dune
Nobody
My Pick: I'm going with No Time to Die here.
Best Streaming Movie
Don’t Look Up
Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Tick Tick Boom
The Harder They Fall
The Power of the Dog
My Pick: I'm going with Zack Snyder's Justice League
Best Blockbuster
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Dune
F9
The Suicide Squad
Black Widow
My Pick: There's only one choice here, Spider-Man: No Way Home
Best Comedy Movie
Don’t Look Up
Shiva Baby
Free Guy
The Suicide Squad
Barb and Star
My Pick: This is a tough category for me, but I'm going with Shiva Baby.
Best Horror Movie
Malignant
The Night House
Candy Man
Last Night in Soho
Titane
My Pick: This is honestly rough. I didn't love any of these. I am going with Last Night in Soho.
Best Independent Movie
Mass
Shiva Baby
C’Mon C’Mon
Nine Days
Pig
My Pick: It's Mass for me.
Hidden Gem
Old Henry
Pig
Nine Days
The Night House
Boxing Day
My Pick: I loved Nine Days and I wish more people saw it. It gets my vote.
Comments
Post a Comment