Best of the Small Screen: Network Dramas, No. 8

 


Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Veronica: [enter Keith] And...
Keith: [happy] Who's your Daddy?
Veronica: I hate it when you say that.
Keith: This is important, you remember this, I used to be cool.
Veronica: When?
Keith: '77. Trans-Am, Blue Oyster Cult in the 8-track, foxy, stacked blond riding shotgun, racing for pink slips. Wait a minute, I'm thinking of a Springsteen song. Scratch everything. I was never cool.
Veronica: I don't know which bothers me more, "foxy" or "stacked."

Veronica Mars (2004-2019)
Starring
: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Jason Dohring, Enrico Colantoni, Ryan Hansen, and Tina Marjorino
Favorite Episodes: "Pilot," Episode 1.01, "Like a Virgin," Episode 1.08, "A Trip to the Dentist," Episode 1.21, "Leave it to Beaver," Episode 1.22, "One Angry Veronica," Episode 2.10, "Not Pictured," Episode 2.22, "Spit & Eggs," Episode 3.09, "The Bitch is Back," Episode 3.20, "Spring Break Forever," Episode 4.01, "Years, Continents, Bloodshed," Episode 4.08
About: Veronica Mars is another that falls into the teen drama category. It began its run on The UPN, transitioned to The CW and then ended after three seasons, or so we thought. A crowd-sourced film kept the spark alive and a fourth season, with an older Veronica, was the gift we got in 2019. There are some who were put off by that final season, specifically the finale. It wasn't what I expected, but it's on this list because it was an emotional and beautifully crafted episode that seemed in keeping with this story. Veronica's journey was never a happy one. It was never meant to be a feel good story. But it felt real and honest. I loved the writing and the wit. Bell was an ideal lead, and her rapport with the cast, particularly Colatoni as Keith Mars, was a revelation. I loved the storytelling and the beautiful mysteries that the series cast. I've watched the series through a number of times and never tire of the journey. Is it bittersweet? Sure, but it also feels real. There's beauty in the struggle, especially when it comes to dramas. This was an easy pick to land on my Top 10 for Network Drama Series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing