Upcoming Releases, July 2023

 


We're in the heart of summer, and three huge blockbuster releases are due out, including two on the same day. Below is my look ahead to the July movie schedule.

Friday, July 7:
Insidious: The Red Door (Theaters):
This sequel jumps ahead and continues the Insidious story. Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne are back, and if you liked the rest, this will be for you.

Joy Ride (Theaters): This R-rated comedy follows a group of girls who head to Asia in search of their roots. The trailer looks hilarious, and this should be a fun, raunchy summer comedy.

The Out-Laws (Netflix): Lil Rel Howrey leads in this comedy about a bank teller who is held up during the week of his wedding. He suspects his new in-laws might be the culprits, and hilarity ensues. I like the set up here.

Wednesday, July 12:
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, Part 1 (Theaters)
: Tom Cruise is back as Ethan Hunt in the seventh film in the franchise. This is the first of a two-part set and the trailers look excellent. This is the rare franchise that just keeps getting better.

Thursday, July 13:
Gray Matter (Max):
This new film on Max centers on a mother and daughter with superhuman abilities. It's the first film to come since the streamer dropped HBO from its title.

Friday, July 14:
Theater Camp (Theaters):
This comedy from Molly Gordon was part of the 2023 Sundance Film festival. I enjoyed this quirky tale and I'm sure many more will as it hits theaters.

Bird Box: Barcelona (Netflix): An attempt to turn the Sandra Bullock film into a franchise. This tells another story, this time set in Spain. I'm on the fence.

Wednesday, July 19:
The Deepest Breath (Netflix):
A champion free diver trains to break a world record. This looks like an interesting human interest feature.

Friday, July 21:
Oppenheimer (Theaters):
Cillian Murphy takes the lead in this biopic from Christopher Nolan. I can't wait.

Barbie (Theaters): Margot Robbie plays the titular doll in this adaptation from Gretta Gerwig. I still can't wait. 

They Cloned Tyrone (Netflix): This film, starring Jamie Foxx, was postponed from late last year. It looks like it could be a decent action film.

Thursday, July 27:
Happiness For Beginners (Netflix):
Ellie Kemper stars as a newly divorced woman looking to get her life going again. The premise is interesting and I could see this being a sweet little comedy.

Friday, July 28:
The Haunted Mansion (Theaters):
Disney is going back to the well with a film adapted from their famous theme park ride. The trailers look great and I'm genuinely excited to see what this comedy has to offer.

Sympathy For the Devil (Theaters): This neo-noir takes place during a carjacking. It's an interesting set up but I'm still not sold.

Slumber Party (Disney+): This sounds like it's The Hangover for the pre-teen crowd. Will it work? Perhaps, but likely this one will only be a hit with teen viewers.

The Beanie Bubble (Apple TV+): This biopic looks at those who invested heavily in Beanie Babies. (Remember those?) Apple's done well with films and this looks interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers