Favorite Superhero Films, No. 4


Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

Professor Charles Xavier: Listen to me very carefully, my friend: killing Shaw will not bring you peace.
Erik Lehnsherr: Peace was never an option.

X-Men: First Class (2011)
Starring:
James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, Kevin Bacon, and Jennifer Lawrence
Director: Matthew Vaughn
About: I have always enjoyed the X-Men. The best of the films, cartoons and series have focused on the relationship between Charles and Erik. This film from Vaughn, a prequel that re-set the franchise, does just that. In McAvoy and Fassbender we have two great performers and their back-and-forth really compels me in this film. I like Bacon in the primary antagonist role as well. Vaughn does a great job crafting the film and creating a compelling story with some interesting set pieces. I like the 1960s setting and the way this provides something of an origin for how these characters came to be and the relationships between them. That's why it remains one of my favorite superhero films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing