1999 Rewind: The Mummy


Films released in 1999 will turn 25 this year. Over the next few months, I'll be looking at some of the memorable films from that year, including some of my favorites. Today, I'm continuing with another blockbuster that changed films.

Rick: The Book of the Dead? Are you sure you want to be playing around with this thing?
Evelyn: It's just a book. No harm ever came from... reading a book.

The Mummy
Starring
: Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, Oded Fehr, and Arnold Vosloo
Director: Stephen Sommers
About: This is another film that was part of the epic summer slate in 1999. It's been re-made in the 25 years since its release, as a more somber take starring Tom Cruise that flopped. This original film also spawned a pair of sequels, the best of which was the second film released in 2001, and a spin-off for Sommers as he tried to create his own monsterverse. This was a re-visiting of a story that was first introduced in the classic film from 1932. It's fair to say this is a much different take. I liked the blend of action, humor, and some effects that, while dated, were pretty cool at the time. This is a fun film, and one that had some Indiana Jones vibes owing to the tone, style, and the period setting. But what really makes it hum is the trio leading the adventure, Fraser, Hannah, and Weisz. In fact, the third film missing Weisz takes something of a dip for me because of the change in chemistry. I enjoy them all, but this is a film that's become one of my all time favorites. I especially love the chemistry between Fraser and Weisz, and the fun their characters seem to have. I like the story, the twists, and the way the whole thing plays out. This was a film I missed during its original theatrical run, but one that I've watched time and again on video, DVD, Blu-Ray, and Streaming in the years since! If you've never seen it, this is a blast and well worth your time to check out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43