1999 Rewind: 10 Things I Hate About You


Films released in 1999 will turn 25 this year. Over the next few months, I'll be looking at some of the memorable films from that year, including some of my favorites. Today, I'm continuing with another blockbuster that changed films.

Walter Stratford: This morning, I delivered a set of twins to a fifteen-year-old girl, do you know what she said to me?
Bianca: "I'm a crack-whore who should have made my skeazy boyfriend wear a condom"?
Walter Stratford: Close, but no. She said, "I should have listened to my father".
Bianca: She did not.
Walter Stratford: Well, that's what she would have said if she wasn't so doped up!

10 Things I Hate About You
Starring
: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larisa Oleynik, David Krumholtz, Alison Janey, Larry Miller, and Andrew Keegan
Director: Gil Junger
About: I remember when I first saw this film. It was a film we bought on Pay-Per-View, back when that was a common way to get a movie at home you'd missed in the theater. I had watched the trailer and I was convinced it would be something I'd enjoy. I was right. The film, a modern interpretation of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, is a beautifully crafted comedy. The sound track, the story, the comedy--it all works. It's aimed at teens and young adults, the age I was when I first saw it. But, still, whenever I watch it, the film takes me back to that time. It's got so many fun and iconic lines, and so many great readings. It's also a delight to see Ledger on screen. He was a wonderful and gifted actor who disappeared too young. I enjoy seeing him in this, particularly the way he plays off Stiles. This is a fun film that's worth checking out if you've never seen it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43