Favorite Westerns, No. 22


Do you like a good Western? It's a classic genre in film and this year I've decided to look at some of my favorite Westerns. So, join me each Friday as I count down my favorite Westerns from No. 50 to No. 1. 

Ransom Stoddard: You're not going to use the story, Mr. Scott?
Maxwell Scott: No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Starring:
Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, and Lee Marvin
Director: John Ford
About: This list has featured a lot of films from Wayne. That makes since as he's one of the most iconic men in the genre. This is the last of the films from Wayne I have on my list, and my favorite. It's another pairing with Stewart (the two are in The Shootist as well). It's another fascinating and layered story delivered by director John Ford. I love the structure, too. Stewart plays an aging politician who is approached by a journalist to tell the story of an incident that came to shape his legacy. We see through flashbacks how his story played out. Stewart, Miles, and Wayne are all excellent in the film. I loved the story and the twists and turns. As I was discovering films from the genre for the first time last year, this was one of my favorite discoveries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43