Favorite Westerns, No. 14


Do you like a good Western? It's a classic genre in film and this year I've decided to look at some of my favorite Westerns. So, join me each Friday as I count down my favorite Westerns from No. 50 to No. 1. 

Charley Waite: Well, he sure as hell wasn't one to complain. Woke with a smile, seemed like he could keep it there all day. Kind of a man that'd say 'good morning' and mean it, whether it was or not. Tell you the truth, Lord, if there was two gentler souls in this world, I never seen 'em. Seems like old Tig wouldn't even kill birds in the end. Well, you got yourself a good man and a good dog, and I'm inclined to agree with Boss here about holding a grudge against you for it. I guess that means Amen.

Open Range (2003)
Starring
: Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall, Diego Luna, Annette Bening, and Michael Gambon
Director: Kevin Costner
About: I mentioned a few weeks ago that one of the big staples of the Western genre is Costner, who has made great contributions to the form over the years. Here, we arrive at another of his Westerns that I've long enjoyed. This one features Costner in a starring role but also has him behind the camera directing the action. This focuses on a group of rambling cowboys, led by Duvall's Boss Spearman, who are assaulted by a local land baron (Gambon) who doesn't take kindly to their lifestyle. It sets up a confrontation which features a third act action sequence that is quite memorable. But it's the performances and the quieter moments that really stand out to me. This is a well-crafted film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43