The Director's Series: P.T. Anderson, No. 4

Throughout 2025 I'm turning my focus to Directors. They help craft the vision on screen that makes a movie work. This year I'm looking at five favorite films from 18 directors I admire and 10 films directed by different women that I have enjoyed. Join me Fridays and Saturdays throughout 2025 as we take this journey.

Inherent Vice (2014)
Starring:
Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Katherine Waterston, Reese Witherspoon, and Owen Wilson
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
About: This film from P.T. Anderson is probably a bit polarizing. Some people love it and some people don't care for it. I fall into the former category, obviously. The film is adapted from the novel by Thomas Pynchon and is a detective tale set in the 1970s. It's a wild story that features some incredible dialogue lifted right from the book. It's an impressive cast and there is a lot of great craft here. The sequences and shots are really eye-catching, and the performances all around are great. I love the crackling dialogue, the choice of music, the setting and shot sequence, and the way Anderson puts this whole thing together. It's a film and a world that hooked me and brought me in, and it remains one of my favorites of his work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16