The Director's Series: Quentin Tarantino, No. 4


Throughout 2025 I'm turning my focus to Directors. They help craft the vision on screen that makes a movie work. This year I'm looking at five favorite films from 18 directors I admire and 10 films directed by different women that I have enjoyed. Join me Fridays and Saturdays throughout 2025 as we take this journey.

Django Unchained (2012)
Starring:
Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson
Director: Quentin Tarantino
About: There is a phase in Tarantino's work where we got a big, Third Act bloodbath. That was certainly the case with my last selection, and it's the case here. This has a wild ending that is nothing short of a blood bath. But what helps this stand out a bit more for me is some of what comes before it. DiCaprio is great in the part, and I enjoy Jackson in that Third Act. But it's about the friendship and partnership between Waltz and Foxx. They playoff off each other well here, and I like a lot of the way this film is put together. It's a tough subject and it's certainly tough to sit through at times, but there's some good craft to the film and some fine performances. I like a lot of the dialogue and the way the sequences are shot as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

2025 Broncos' Season, Week 13