The Director's Series: The Coen Brothers, No. 3


Throughout 2025 I'm turning my focus to Directors. They help craft the vision on screen that makes a movie work. This year I'm looking at five favorite films from 18 directors I admire and 10 films directed by different women that I have enjoyed. Join me Fridays and Saturdays throughout 2025 as we take this journey.

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
Starring
: Tim Robbins, Paul Newman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Charles Durning
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen
About: There is a period in the early 1990s that is the sweet spot for me with the Coen Brothers. This is the second of three films from that run on this list. This one is a holiday film, a screwball comedy, and a very emotional tale. You know, for kids! Robbins is incredible in the lead, but I love the cast here. The Coen Brothers make great use of Newman and During, along with secret MVP Bill Cobbs. But I love Jason Leigh as a fast-talking gal who infiltrates the company and ends up falling for Norville Barnes. I don't always love Coen Brother comedies as much as the crime dramas, but this is the rare exception. I've loved it since i first saw it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 23

2026 Broncos' Season, Week 5

1991 Rewind: City Slickers