The Director's Series: Sian Heder, CODA


Throughout 2025 I'm turning my focus to Directors. They help craft the vision on screen that makes a movie work. This year I'm looking at five favorite films from 18 directors I admire and 10 films directed by different women that I have enjoyed. Join me Fridays and Saturdays throughout 2025 as we take this journey.

CODA (2021)
Starring
: Emilia Jones, Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin, Daniel Durant, and Eugenio Derbez
Director: Sian Heder
About: The penultimate entry from a female director on this list is a special one to me. Technically it's special in general, as it was the first Best Picture winner for Apple TV, or any streamer. For some it was a surprise win, but I fell in love as soon as I saw it. It's really a beautiful film and it's beautifully told. I was so hyped it won Best Picture, though I wish it had earned more accolades. Jones is simply stunning in the lead performance and should have at least earned a nomination. She's continued to deliver wonderful performances since. This movie is so richly rewarding. It's funny, it's charming, and it's deeply emotional. It's a beautiful celebration of family and it's got some sequences that turn me into a puddle in the best way. If you've never seen it, it's worth checking out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing

2025 Broncos' Season, Week 13