The Director's Series: Sidney Lumet, No. 1


Throughout 2025 I'm turning my focus to Directors. They help craft the vision on screen that makes a movie work. This year I'm looking at five favorite films from 18 directors I admire and 10 films directed by different women that I have enjoyed. Join me Fridays and Saturdays throughout 2025 as we take this journey.

12 Angry Men (1957)
Starring
: Martin Balsam, Lee J. Cobb, Henry Fonda, E.G. Marshall, and Jack Warden
Director: Sidney Lumet
About: Lumet made a lot of incredible films. He had a great run of films that he directed in the 1970s, many of which I have included on this list. But the one at the top for me is this 1957-courtroom drama. Well, more accurately, it's a jury-room drama. I love the way this comes together, the tension in the deliberations, and how it concludes. This has become an iconic classic in American film that has been made and re-made a number of times. Many are good, but none comes close to topping this original version. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing

2025 Broncos' Season, Week 13