AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 43
Back in 1998, the American Film Institute unveiled its list of the 100 greatest films as voted on by members of the cinematic community. The year, I'm looking at the films on that list, re-ranked according to my preference. Check back Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year as we walk through this list of classic films.
Butch Cassidy: [to Sundance] Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Original List Position: 50
Starring: Paul Newman and Robert Redford
Director: George Roy Hill
About: Redford and Newman made for quite the on-screen tandem. This is one of their more iconic pairings as they star as the infamous outlaws near the end of their adventures. It landed at No. 50 on the original list, slipping to No. 73 a decade later. I have it a bit higher than either of those. I think it's a fun and funny film, that's also a quality Western. Newman and Redford have such incredible rapport together, which is what sells this film since most of it is them on the run together trading quips. This is a fun film and an iconic film with a couple of iconic performers. If you've never seen it, the film is worth seeking out.

Comments
Post a Comment