AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 44
Back in 1998, the American Film Institute unveiled its list of the 100 greatest films as voted on by members of the cinematic community. The year, I'm looking at the films on that list, re-ranked according to my preference. Check back Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year as we walk through this list of classic films.
Opening Title Card: "Modern Times." A story of industry, of individual enterprise - humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness.
Modern Times (1936)
Original List Position: 81
Starring: Charlie Chaplin
Director: Charlie Chaplin
About: For the second time this month, we get a Chaplin film on the countdown. This one puts the focus on the industrial revolution and the changing scope of work in America, specifically factories and a changing economy. This one was a few places below City Lights on the original list, but while City Lights jumped way up a decade later, this rose just three spots to No. 78. And yet, I have it higher on my personal list. It's a matter of personal preference. Chaplin had a style as a performer and artist. I like City Lights and appreciate the romantic story. But I liked this one and some of the visual components and gags a little better. They are both great examples of the Silent Film movement in the 1930s, coming when Chaplin was at the peak of his powers.

Comments
Post a Comment