AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 45


Back in 1998, the American Film Institute unveiled its list of the 100 greatest films as voted on by members of the cinematic community. The year, I'm looking at the films on that list, re-ranked according to my preference. Check back Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year as we walk through this list of classic films.

Rhett Butler: Take a good look my dear. It's an historic moment you can tell your grandchildren about - how you watched the Old South fall one night.

Gone With the Wind (1939)
Original List Position
: 4
Starring: Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh
Director: Victor Fleming
About: The year 1939 was an epic year for films. There are a number of iconic films from that year, and many of them ended up on this list. When you think of iconic American films, for many Gone With the Wind would be on the short list. It was No. 4 on the original list and fell only to No. 6 a decade later. It tells a sweeping story of people in the South before, during, and after the Civil War. It was a time when a certain way of life changed. There is romance, politics, and history in this film, which spans the course of four hours. It features some great performances, especially from Gable. I like and appreciate the film, even if I've never loved it as much as some. It certainly is worthy of recognition on a list like this, and it's fairly incredible for what it is. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen during an anniversary screening, and I hope if you get the chance you'll do the same!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing