1996 Rewind: Beautiful Girls
It's hard to believe, but 1996 was 30 years ago. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be looking at some stand out films from 1996 that are turning 30 in 2026. Today, it's the start of a franchise.
Paul: Supermodels are beautiful girls, Will. A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.
Beautiful Girls
Starring: Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, Rosie O'Donnell, Natalie Portman, Michael Rapaport, and Mira Sorvino
Director: Ted Demme
About: The late Demme is an interesting filmmaker. This is probably one of his most remembered, a classic for many who saw it. It's also a controversial movie because of one of the storylines in particular. Look, I am a fan of some of the comedy, the cast, and the general vibe of the film. I own it on disc and I've enjoyed it since college. I won't defend the creepiness of Hutton's interactions with Portman, a pre-teen, in this film. I believe it's meant to be unsettling, and so that's what I'm going with. Otherwise, for a slice-of-life kind of character piece. I think this works pretty well.

Comments
Post a Comment