1996 Rewind: Fargo
It's hard to believe, but 1996 was 30 years ago. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be looking at some stand out films from 1996 that are turning 30 in 2026. Today, it's the start of a franchise.
Marge Gunderson: [to Gaear] So, that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.
Fargo
Starring: Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, and William H. Macy
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen
About: This is a classic Coen Brothers tale, one that was nominated for Best Picture. This is a classic story and a classic set of performances. It inspired an anthology series on the small screen, too. I love McDormand and Macy in these roles, and the crime-gone-wrong motif that became so common among their films. There is also an element of not being able to reconcile the dark impulses of humanity that feels like a throughline in a lot of their work, which we get here. It's a classic for a reason and possibly the best film from 1996, even if it didn't win Best Picture.

Comments
Post a Comment