1996 Rewind: Jerry Maguire
It's hard to believe, but 1996 was 30 years ago. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be looking at some stand out films from 1996 that are turning 30 in 2026. Today, it's the start of a franchise.
Dicky Fox: Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
Jerry Maguire
Starring: Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Renee Zellweger
Director: Cameron Crowe
About: Another of the Best Picture nominees and another film that would probably have been a better winner. Either way, it's a film that endures in the culture more 30 years later than the winner. This is a classic and iconic performance from Cruise. It's a good drama with some memorable moments. Gooding is great as Rod Tidwell, too. But it's also a romantic film that works with different kinds of audiences. There is something about a Crowe film that speaks to the nature of man, introspection, and our need for connection. This touches on all of that and it's well worth revisiting for its anniversary.

Comments
Post a Comment