1996 Rewind: Swingers
It's hard to believe, but 1996 was 30 years ago. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be looking at some stand out films from 1996 that are turning 30 in 2026. Today, it's the start of a franchise.
Trent: I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from. Okay? You're a bad man. You're a bad man, Mikey. You're a bad man, bad man.
Swingers
Starring: Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn
Director: Doug Liman
About: You're so money and you don't even know it! We've all had a friend like Trent, and Vaughn plays the part perfectly here. Before Favreau was known for his directing prowess, and his connection to Star Wars, he was Mikey in Liman's film. Favreau wrote the film, so it makes sense he has a good feel for the material. I was never the biggest fan of Swingers, but it spoke to a generation of guys I went to high school and college with. As it turns 30 years old this year, it's worth remembering!

Comments
Post a Comment