AFI 100 Years, 100 Movies: No. 32

 


Back in 1998, the American Film Institute unveiled its list of the 100 greatest films as voted on by members of the cinematic community. The year, I'm looking at the films on that list, re-ranked according to my preference. Check back Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year as we walk through this list of classic films.

Jedediah Leland: I can remember everything. That's my curse, young man. It's the greatest curse that's ever been inflicted on the human race: memory.

Citizen Kane (1941)
Original List Position
: 1
Starring: Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten
Director: Orson Welles
About: This film is an American classic. It's one of the great cinematic achievements, and it was No.1 on the original and revised list. It's a big part of the reason Welles remains revered. It was a daring film that was a risk that changed a lot of his career. I respect the film and I appreciate the film. I understand why it is a classic and I think it's something everyone should see. But when I attacked this list, it was meant to put it back in an order of personal preference. This has never been a personal favorite, so it lands a bit lower on the list for me. But that can't take away from what it means to the history of cinema.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now Playing

Fall TV Roundup, Week 16

Now Playing