Upcoming Releases, September 2026
We made it to September, which is a curious time at the movies. There are films, some of which might be interesting, but it feels like the calm before the storm of Fall. Let's dive in.
Wednesday, September 2:
* Fall 2: Deadpoint (Theaters): Fall was a surprising hit for audiences and for me. Does it need a sort of non-connected sequel? It does not.
* The Runner (Prime Video): The first of two films in September about running. This one is ON Prime Video and stars Gal Gadot. Stream away!
Friday, September 4:
* By Any Means (Theaters): A drama starring Mark Wahlberg and Yahya Abdul-Mateen seems intriguing. This trailer makes me think there's a reason it's being dumped on Labor Day Weekend.
* Onslaught (Theaters): A sci-fi action film starring Adria Arjona. This has some potential to be fun but is probably being dropped Labor Day weekend for a reason.
* Tom and Jerry: Forbidden Campus (Theaters): This new Tom & Jerry film is kind of sneaking up on us without much fanfare. That feels like a grim sign.
* Mayday (Apple TV): A sort of buddy action comedy with Ryan Reynolds and Kenneth Branaugh. I'm not only intrigued, I think this might be the pick of the weekend.
Wednesday, September 9:
* Hope (Theaters): This one debuted at film festivals to something like mixed reviews. It's a sci fi tale with some big names that appear briefly in a film that's mostly subtitled and two hours and 40 minutes. So, this will have some work to do.
Friday, September 11:
* Practical Magic 2 (Theaters): The first one is an under-rated seasonal classic. It has been a while, and I don't know if people were clamoring for a sequel. But the trailer has me intrigued.
* Runner (Theaters): The second film about running, this one starring a Prime Video staple in Alan Ritchison that is being released in theaters. Ritchison knows his way around and action film, so I guess I'm in.
* The Fix (Theaters): This is a war thriller starring Liam Neeson and Titus Welliver. I like the cast, but I don't know about this.
* The Uprising (Theaters): A film from Paul Greengrass starring Andrew Garfield. That feels like it should be a bigger deal, but this is decidedly under-the-radar.
Friday, September 18:
* Resident Evil (Theaters): Zach Cregger has hit it out of the park with Weapons and Barbarian. Now, he's taking on Resident Evil. It certainly had a stark trailer, so I'm interested.
* The Weight (Theaters): A creepy, southern drama starring Ethan Hawke and Russell Crowe. I like the potential here.
* Shaun the Sheep: The Beast of Mossy Bottom (Theaters): It's been a rough month for family-friendly programming, but I think this is will have a big appeal to the younger viewers.
Wednesday, September 23:
* The Love Hypothesis (Prime Video): This is a romantic comedy led by Lili Reinhart. I like the casting and the potential. This is a nice late-month streaming option.
Friday, September 25:
* Charlie Harper (Theaters): This is a new romance starring Emila Jones and Nick Robinson. The trailer has some charm so I'm interested.
* Forgotten Island (Theaters): Many of our big animated films drop during summer, and others hold for the Fall holidays. This one is dropping right inbetween and it has some style and could have some fun elements here.
* Heart of the Beast (Theaters): This is a survival story between Brad Pitt and a charming canine. I liked the trailer and the idea. A late month gem is possible.
* Ha-Chan, Shake Your Booty (Theaters): This is a foreign film that centers on dancing and emotional drama. It looks potentially fun, but feels like it could be something of a stretch as a theatrical feature.
*Unabomber (Netflix): We have lived long enough to see Jacob Tremblay play the titular character here. I feel old and also unsure how this will work. Russell Crowe and Shailene Woodley will also appear. I don't know about this one.
Comments
Post a Comment