Favorite Westerns, No. 43

 


Do you like a good Western? It's a classic genre in film and this year I've decided to look at some of my favorite Westerns. So, join me each Friday as I count down my favorite Westerns from No. 50 to No. 1.

Rooster Cogburn: [watching Mattie ford the river hanging on the back of her horse] By God. She reminds me of me.

True Grit (1969)
Starring
: John Wayne, Kim Darby, Glen Campbell, Robert Duvall, and Dennis Hopper
Director: Henry Hathaway
About: This is the third straight week with a film from Wayne. As you might guess, we're not done. As I've mentioned, he sets a standard for the genre. Here, we seen him bring to life an iconic character. This one is based on a novel, and it has endured. He's great as Rooster Cogburn, so good that he got a sequel in the same character. But this is a later film in his career. This is a different, more grizzled Wayne. He's still quite good and this is a film that really has stood the test of time. It's not the only version of this story from Charles Portis, so stay tuned! But I appreciate Wayne in this role.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets