Avoiding isolation

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." — Roger "Verbal" Kint (Kevin Spacey), "The Usual Suspects."

Yesterday, sitting through the message, that quote came to mind as Graham talked about loneliness, isolation and how that prevents us from getting the gold. The line, uttered by Kevin Spacey as part of his Academy-Award-winning performance, was a classic part of "The Usual Suspects." Verbal Kint weaves a tale about a group of criminals that were undone by a powerful villain. There is even some speculation one of the men was the villain. In reality, they were undone because their own fear, paranoia and self-reliance made them vulnerable.

That's what isolation does. Sometimes we have to endure times of isolation and loneliness before we can truly appreciate the warmth and fellowship community can bring.

A show I like to watch is "Burn Notice" on USA. It's about a spy, Michael Westen, who is black listed. The only way for him to survive is to rely on a pair of friends and his mother. In a recent episode, a contact from Michael's former life wanted him to use his skills to do something that was against his conscience. Michael's friends warned him about the old contact, but Michael forged ahead. Soon, when he needed help, his friends stopped answering his calls. In a place of isolation and desperation, Michael felt pushed to the brink and nearly went against his instincts to do something he knew he shouldn't.

But before that happened, he realized his old contact was relying on an old spy trick. He'd switched out the card in Michael's phone, making his falsely believe he was all alone, friendless, so that he could manipulate him into making a bad decision. When Michael realized his friends hadn't abandoned him and that he wasn't alone, he was able to find the strength to overcome.

That is what the evil one wants, to isolate us and to prey upon us when we're at our most desperate. That's why it's important to be a part of a faith community.

For a time in my life after I got out of college I felt burned out on church. I don't think I lost my faith, just my way. For a period of three years I didn't go anywhere and, worse than that, I didn't think it was that important. Then I got connected at Highlands. It took that re-connection for me to realize that it filled a void my soul had been crying out for.

Being part of a faith community offers a support system. When I am struggling, I have a group of believers I can rely on for counsel, prayer and support. I, in turn, can offer them support. We are all unique, and all uniquely important to the body of Christ. We all offer something different and it is by coming together that we can achieve all that God has planned for us.

A favorite verse of mine is Ephesians 4:16, which speaks to the importance of each member of the body of Christ. "From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43