Finding purpose

I couldn't help but be moved by Lindsey Vonn's interview following her Gold-medal winning run Wednesday night. Just a week earlier, Vonn wasn't sure she'd even be able to compete due to a painful shin injury. But Wednesday, on a course full of crashes, skiing on one leg part of the time, Vonn posted the best time and claimed gold.

When the Olympic correspondent caught up with her, Vonn couldn't keep the emotions in. She wept as she talked about how much the gold meant to her, saying she'd "given up everything" to put her focus on being the best skier in the world. Achieving that dream unleashed the emotional floodgate.

That is a common response when we feel like we've found our place in this world. Earlier on Wednesday, the idea of purpose in our Christian life was the topic of discussion at the Click meeting. As I listened to the students and leaders discussing the idea of purpose, and why they thought faith was important I thought about the role of purpose in my life.

The last year I've spent a lot of time thinking about God's purpose in my own life. It took me a while to figure it out, but when I did I felt the same rush of emotions Vonn felt Wednesday night. There is a joy that can only come from realize and living God's purpose for your life.

In his message last week Pastor Graham referenced Eric Liddell, the Presbyterian minister who competed in the Olympics. I saw struck by the quote from that film regarding purpose when Liddell's sister, Jenny, questions his decision to pursue running. "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." That's a good description of what it's like to live God's purpose for our lives.

I also think it's important to remember that, even when it's tough, God still has a plan and purpose for all our lives, and we are never truly alone when we put our lives in his hands. This has been a difficult time for our nation and world, but a recent commercial I saw really struck a chord with me. It was a commercial for Allstate insurance. Most of it relied on a famous speech President Franklin Roosevelt delivered during the Great Depression.

But at the end, spokesman and actor Dennis Haysbert says, "Uncertainty will not rule our lives when we put our lives in good hands." He may have been referring to insurance in the commercial, but that statement is even more true when you think about God.

That reminds me of the lyrics to a song, "The Arms that Hold the Universe." The song talks about being in God's hands. The chorus goes, "And the arms that hold the universe; Are holding you tonight; You can rest inside; It's gonna be alright; And the voice that calmed the raging sea; Is calling you His child; So be still and know He's in control; He will never let you go."

At one time or another we all feel lost, but during those times it is comforting to know that God is in control and he will NEVER let us go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43