The countdown begins

Tonight I experienced my first Ash Wednesday service. Before tonight, the only things I really knew about Ash Wednesday were that it was typically a Catholic tradition, it followed Fat Tuesday, and it was the title of a sub-par movie starring Edward Burns. Not a ringing endorsement.

But tonight was different. Ash Wednesday is really about an outward expression of the inward power of Christ in our lives. It's a way to honor his sacrifice and to really begin to think about that and put our focus on where it should be during the Easter season — Jesus' death and resurrection.

I don't know what the greatest gift you've ever received is. For some it might be a car, for some it might be something larger or smaller. But no matter how great that gift was, it pales in comparison to Christ's love for us.

In Romans 5:8, the Apostle Paul says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." That's what I was thinking about tonight and that's what I was thinking about when I got my first ever cross of ashes. I hope everyone will take some time over these next 40 days to think about that sacrifice and what it's meant to all our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43