An Education

I will never forget the first article I ever had published. I was a senior in high school and we had just won a big football game. Morro Bay High School beat Atascadero High School in football. It was practically unheard of. At the time, it hadn't happened in 37 long years.

I spent more than a week interviewing players, teachers and school employees. I heard hundreds of stories about tragic losses to Atascadero and how much the victory meant to past players. In fact, I remember seeing dozens of 30-40 year old men on the sidelines wearing faded letterman's jackets shedding a few tender tears.

I poured my heart and soul into the article, turning the best phrases I could, trying to capture, vividly the images of the game and what it meant to all those on the field and on the sidelines. It was the best work I'd ever done, and it landed on the front page. The day it came out, I rushed to grab a few copies and keep for the family and for posterity. I couldn't have been prouder.

Then I went to AP English. There, on my desk waiting for me, was a copy of the paper. Only it didn't look like the others. It was marked in black ink with more than a dozen corrections. Beside it sat a copy of the AP Style guide. Both were a gift from my teacher, Mrs. Kay. Needless to say that initial wave of pride and joy were muted in that moment.

I suppose some would take that "present" as a slap; but not me. I knew that while I received accolades and congratulations from others, Mrs. Kay never stopped being my teacher. That's the mark of a great teacher; someone who has the courage to point out your mistakes and push you to improve. In a lot of ways I think I am the writer I am today because of Mrs. Kay and teachers like her that pushed me to work harder and be better.

One of the great joys I had in working for the Paso Robles Press was covering the local education beat. I had a chance to interview students and teachers and learn about the dynamic programs and clubs that made local schools special. I found many talented and dedicated educators who were unafraid to offer that same push for excellence to their students that I got.

Last spring, seeing the cuts to education, was the roughest part of that job. Seeing another round of pink slips handed out just last week was even tougher. At a time when education seems to be more of a prerequisite to a career than ever, California is cutting corners. I worry not only for the great, talented men and women that are losing their jobs but for the students coming up who will see their opportunities for learning, creative expression and personal growth curbed by our state's bottom line.

I don't know what the answer is, but I hope California's leaders find one soon. Never has there been a better time to pray for God's wisdom to be imparted to our elected officials.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43