Is that necessary?

I don't think I'll ever forget where I was on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001. I remember being awoken, the images on the screen when I flipped on the TV and the fear and confusion I felt. It was a sentiment shared by everyone throughout the country.

I can also remember the days and weeks following that event; watching the unending news coverage and feeling lost. Slowly, things started to return to normal and life began to resume its normal routines. But, for the most part, the entertainment world steered clear.

I also remember the uneasiness I felt when I heard about the first Sept. 11-themed film that was to be released — "United 93." I watched that film with apprehension. Though it was well crafted and attempted to pay tribute to the brave men and women aboard that flight, it was hard to watch and felt too raw and too soon to be in good taste.

Oliver Stone followed with his tribute to New York fire fighters, "World Trade Center," which put a bit more of a hopeful spin on the tragic event. Though it was a bit better, it still felt like the film touched on a raw nerve that wasn't ready to be tested.

Nearly nine years after that tragic attack, Sept. 11-themed story lines have become common place. Whether it's shows featuring characters still recovering from the losses suffered during those attacks ("Rescue Me," "Mercy") or sci-fi shows depicting futures where Sept. 11 didn't strike the World Trade Center ("Fringe"), it's become a common part of American culture.

Which doesn't mean it should be.

Recently, I've been struck by the fact that two romance dramas have used the tragic events of Sept. 11 as part of the plot. In "Dear John," the Sept. 11 attacks are used as a tool to keep the hero, Channing Tatum, and the heroine, Amanda Seyfried, apart. It was a minor part of the plot, but still referenced heavily.

More recently, the paltry drama "Remember Me" built up to using Sept. 11 as a Bronte sisters-like coda to its romance drama. I could see it was building to the event from about 20 minutes in, but that didn't make it any better. Seeing the harrowing events of Sept. 11 used to add a twist ending to a Robert Pattinson movie felt like a betrayal of all the suffering the attack caused.

I couldn't help but wonder if that's how World War II veterans feel about a movie like "Pearl Harbor."

I guess the point is that I am disappointed that Hollywood has such little respect for the impact that fateful day had on our nation. I think those that suffered and survived those attacks deserve better than to see it used as an emotionally manipulative plot device in a poor excuse for a memorable drama.

But maybe that's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43